Thank you for your interest in working for the Rice NW Museum.
We post our openings on Indeed.com, which offers convenient email alerts when positions become available. We always post as “Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks & Minerals.” Check out our career page for available openings.
Current Openings: (Updated 9/5/17)
Job Title: Part Time Bookkeeper (Posted 9/5/17)
Job Classification: Part-time, hourly, non-exempt
Hours: 20-30 per week. Monday & Friday at least 4-5 hours, remaining hours flexible.
Pay: Negotiable DOE
Job Description: Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks & Minerals is hiring a bookkeeper! The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for posting and reconciling the Museum’s Quick-Books ledger accounts.
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conduct bookkeeping, purchasing, accounting, Gift Shop inventory control
- Post accounts payable. Process and mail checks.
- Prepare and post accounts receivable, follow up as needed on “past due” accounts
- Prepare Bank Deposits
- Post Gift Shop Inventory and Sales.
- Daily count, balance and post petty cash and Gift Shop receipts.
- Prepare customer invoice statements as necessary.
- Calculate and post monthly Museum Store cost of goods expense journal entry.
- Calculate and post monthly fixed assets depreciation expense journal entry.
- Post Museum collection assets updates and new acquisitions and sales.
- Reconcile and maintain general ledger and bank accounts.
- Prepare monthly financial packet for the Museum Director & Board Treasurer review and approval.
- Includes but not limited to: the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Statement, bank reconciliation statements and monthly foot traffic summary. Make general ledger adjustments as directed by the Director and/or Treasurer
- Prepare Records for accountant’s Tax Preparation as directed by the Treasurer.
- Update, maintain and prepare mailings for the Membership and Mailing Lists.
- Assist with budget preparations.
- Assist with fixed asset inventory and accounting.
- Maintain all financial transaction documentation and audit trail files.
- Other duties or special assignments as requested by Museum Director or Board Treasurer.
Working hours: Our public hours are Wed-Fri from 1PM-5PM and Sat-Sun 10AM-5PM. School tours typically take place Mon-Fri between 9AM and 1PM.
We are very accommodating to flexible working schedules. The nature of this position will require some hours to be completed on Mondays and Fridays during business hours.
Location: The Rice Museum is located at 26385 NW Groveland Drive, Hillsboro, OR 97124. This location is accessible via the Helvetia Rd and Jackson School Road exits on US 26 and is on the north side of the freeway in the agricultural area. This location is not accessible via a direct TriMet route.
- Proficient with QuickBooks and Microsoft Office Suite package.
- Ability to understand and analyze financial data.
- Confidentiality concerning all financial, personnel and security procedures a strong must.
- Time management and self-starter a must.
- Ability to monitor and interpret financial data and financial policies and procedures.
- Understanding interdependent relationship between asset accounts and profit and loss accounts. This is a family environment. Strong open and honest communication skills are necessary.
- Familiar with basic tax laws for Oregon a plus
- Non-Profit bookkeeping experience important but not required
- Creativity to problem solving with a strong eye to overall team benefit.
- Comfortable with asking questions and suggesting improvements or alternatives.
- 2 year degree in accounting or finance or equivalent from an accredited institution. Demonstrated work experience may be substituted for a degree.
- 2 years bookkeeping or accounting experience.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) a must.
- Knowledge of maintaining account balances and reporting on their status.
- Knowledge of accounting techniques and procedures
About the Organization: The Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks & Minerals is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and home to one of the top 10 mineral collections in the United States. We saw 24,000 visitors last year, including 8,000 elementary-aged children on school tours.
Work Environment: The collection is displayed in a 1950s ranch house with two levels with stair and elevator access, and in a second gallery in a former woodshop. Both interior locations are fully climate controlled. Our grounds consist of 22 acres of wooded property and we regularly hold outdoor events in the summer. Work is performed in a shared office, the selected candidate must be able to work in an occasionally noisy environment
Physical Requirements: 80% seated, working at a computer. Occasionally may walk, stand, ascend and descend stairs, and be called upon to assist in moving objects up to 30 lbs. Reasonable accommodations will be made for employees who cannot fulfill physical duties.
Additional Screenings: Due to the nature of the position, we ask that all employees submit to a pre-employment criminal background screening prior to beginning work. The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States; the Rice Museum does not sponsor work visas.
Hiring Process: Please submit your resume via email to email@example.com with a brief, informal note introducing yourself. Our hiring process will begin with an initial phone screening, from which we will select candidates to come for an in-person interview. The in-person interview will take place with executive director. We will ask for references at the in-person interview.