Thank you for your interest in working for the Rice NW Museum.
We post our openings on Indeed.com, which offers convenient email alerts when positions become available. We always post as “Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks & Minerals.” Check out our career page for available openings.
Job Opening: Posted 4/16/18
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $11.00 /hour
Job Description: Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks & Minerals is hiring a museum host! This is a 50/50 education & retail position. Our team of hosts leads guided tours for field trips, birthday parties, and other private groups and work in the museum store during public open hours.
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead and facilitate scheduled group tours, which include K-12 students, college students, seniors, and the general public.
- Perform duties in the Museum Gift Shop including inventorying, restocking, price labeling, cleaning, and retail sales.
- Perform duties required during major museum events and festivals including setup, retail sales, and hosting.
- Maintain Museum operation including cleaning of Museum grounds, exhibits, and facilities and assist with security of the Museum collections and exhibits
- Greet and thank all guests entering and exiting the museum.
- Answer telephones and provide information/assistance or route calls as appropriate.
About the Organization: The Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks & Minerals is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and home to one of the top 10 mineral collections in the United States. We saw 30,000 visitors last year, including 9,000 elementary-aged children on school tours.
Working hours: Our public hours are Wed-Fri from 1PM-5PM and Sat-Sun 10AM-5PM. School tours typically take place Mon-Fri between 9AM and 1PM.
We are very accommodating to flexible working schedules. Some weekend shifts are required, including special events. Preference will be given to applicants with regular weekend availability.
Part time hours range from 10-20 hours per week based on tour bookings.
Location: The Rice Museum is located at 26385 NW Groveland Drive, Hillsboro, OR 97124. This location is accessible via the Helvetia Rd and Jackson School Road exits on US 26 and is on the north side of the freeway in the agricultural area. This location is not accessible via TriMet .
Desired Qualifications: The selected candidate will have enthusiasm for earth sciences and a desire to share their knowledge and excitement with visitors of all ages. To be selected, the candidate must be comfortable speaking in English to audiences of up to 40 people and be willing to be trained on our course material. The candidate must also be willing to be trained on and operate our point-of-sale system (it’s on an iPad) and able to count cash and verify credit card transactions.
A positive attitude, professional demeanor, and willingness to learn are the applicant’s most important traits. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply and welcome individuals with diverse experience to our staff.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Bilingual skills a plus.
- Ability to work independently, establish priorities, be self-motivated, and proceed with objectives with minimal supervision.
- Creative problem-solving skills and adaptability to last minute changes.
- Prior retail experience helpful.
- Basic knowledge of geology and rocks and minerals helpful.
Work Environment: The collection is displayed in a 1950s ranch house with two levels with stair and elevator access, and in a second gallery in a former woodshop. Both interior locations are fully climate controlled. Our grounds consist of 22 acres of wooded property and we regularly hold outdoor events in the summer.
Physical Requirements: This position will require walking, standing, speaking in English, ascending & descending stairs daily, and lifting up to 30lbs, working with some cleaning chemicals (isopropyl alcohol, plexiglass cleaner, dish & laundry detergent) occasionally. Reasonable accommodations will be made for employees who cannot fulfill physical duties.
Additional Screenings: Because this position requires working in direct contact with children and priceless mineral specimens, we ask that all employees submit to a pre-employment criminal background screening prior to beginning work. The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States; the Rice Museum does not sponsor work visas.
Hiring Process: Please submit a cover letter and resume. Our hiring process will begin with an initial phone screening, from which we will select candidates to come for an in-person interview. The in-person interview will take place with our curator and be followed by a brief meeting with the executive director. We will ask for references at the in-person interview.